Toronto, Ontario

Noted golf professional and architect George Cumming designed the original course. In 1914, the handsome clubhouse and 18 hole golf course were formally opened. Although nature's original gifts of magnificent hills, towering trees, excellent soil and winding creek are still there, the founders of the Club would hardly recognize the site today. In 1924 famed eccentric New York golf course architect A.W. Tillinghast, the designer of the notable U.S. Open courses Winged Foot and Baltusrol, re-created the classic design that Scarboro members enjoy today. According to Barclay 2000, in 1947 'Stanley Thompson was commissioned to reduce the severity of some of the slopes on the course, and major work was done on a hill on the eighth hole but the club's minutes say that Stanley only consulted with the club on agronomic issues .

Mailing address

Scarboro G&CC
321 Scarboro Golf Club Rd
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M1J 3H2

Contact information

Extent of 'Thompson' Work

minor renovation work design
Renovation done by (architect: Tillinghast design)
Verification level: Level 3
 
consulting on the golf course maintenance
Renovation done by (architect: Tillinghast design)
Verification level: Level 3
 

Evidence

  • Ian Andrew's personal research files
  • Reference to Scarboro GC in 'The Toronto Terror'