Peterborough, Ontario

 
Stanley Thompson, the premier golf course architect of the 1920's and holder of the course record at the PETERBOROUGH GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB, was engaged, 1929 - 1931 to design an 18 hole layout. The original 6,300 yard course had all the Thompson trademarks for strategic golf. The bunkers were directional, and the mounds (mimicking the Peterborough Drumlins) deflected errant balls. The golf club hill was echoed in the grass and sand bunkers, and the course snaked its way along the Trent Canal in Classic links style. Except for minor changes, the layout of the course remained virtually unchanged until 1990 when the Club added a new 4th, 5th and 6th hole to replace the three holes sold to a condominium developer in order to pay for major irrigation and drainage systems and add other course improvements.

Mailing address

Peterborough G&CC
1030 Armour Road
Peterborough, Ontario
Canada K9J 6Y8

Contact information

Extent of 'Thompson' Work

9 hole addition design
Addition done by (architect: Stanley Thompson)
Verification level: Level 1
 
9 hole addition construction supervision
Renovation done by (architect: Stanley Thompson)
Verification level: Level 1
 
9 hole renovation design
Addition done by (architect: Stanley Thompson)
Verification level: Level 1
 
9 hole renovation construction supervision
Renovation done by (architect: Stanley Thompson)
Verification level: Level 1
 

Evidence

  • 18 hole layout original blueprint
  • Drawing of course
  • 'A remarkable 1929 Course record'
  • Memo from ST to Minister of the interior TG Murphy
  • Reference to Peterborough GC in 'The Toronto Terror'
  • Article in Ontario Golf Magazine