Port Carling, Ontario

 
In the early 1900’s, the founding fathers of the Muskoka Lakes Golf and Country Club (MLGCC) searched for and inspected several properties suitable for a golf course. By 1919, the first Board of Directors was appointed and had purchased Liliwood Farms and an adjoining farm, together comprising 135 acres. Shortly thereafter, the Board retained Mr. Stanley Thompson, of Thompson Cumming and Thompson to design and supervise construction.  This is thought to be his first solo course.  Construction began in 1920 and the Course opened for play on August 26, 1922.

Mailing address

Muskoka Lakes G& C.C.
1072 Shamrock Road
Port Carling, Ontario
Canada P0B 1J0

Contact information

Extent of 'Thompson' Work

18 hole layout design
New done by Thompson Cumming and Thompson (architect: Stanley Thompson)
Verification level: Level 1
 
18 hole layout construction supervision
New done by Thompson Cumming and Thompson (architect: Stanley Thompson)
Verification level: Level 1
 

Evidence

  • Correspondence with Muskoka Lakes G&CC
  • Letter to Burlington Golf & Country Club signed by Frank Thompson
  • Memo from ST to Minister of the interior TG Murphy
  • Ad for recent commissions
  • Stanley Thompson Co. Ltd- Golf Architects Advertisement
  • 'With a Capital of $75,000'
  • Ad for recent commissions
  • Article in Canadian Golfer
  • Article in Canadian Golfer
  • 'Wonderful links'
  • Reference to Muskoka G&GC in 'The Toronto Terror'
  • 'Liberty Profile'
  • Article in Ontario Golf Magazine