Aurora, Ontario

 The original name for this course was Aurora Highlands GC.
The dean of Canadian course architects, Stanley Thompson, laid out the original 9 holes in 1930 holes which were opened for play in the spring of 1931.  The course was laid out through rolling terrain with stands of pines and cedars, creating a sporty and pleasant layout that rewarded accuracy. Suitable for all skill levels, Highland Gate boasted a comfortable clubhouse with a patio overlooking the 18th hole.  Much later, Rene Muylaert added another 9 holes and changed the routing of the Thompson holes.

Mailing address

 

Contact information

 

Former names

 

Extent of 'Thompson' Work

9 hole design
New done by Thompson Jones & Co. (architect: )
Verification level: Level 2
 
9 hole construction supervision
New done by Thompson Jones & Co. (architect: )
Verification level: Level 2
 

Evidence

  • Memo from ST to Minister of the interior TG Murphy
  • Article in Canadian Golfer
  • Reference to Aurora GC in 'The Toronto Terror'
  • Original ST drawing