Tecumseh, Ontario

 
On January 10, 1921, 16 local gentlemen obtained a charter, and on June 23rd, 1921 construction began on St. Clair Beach Limited., designed by Stanley Thompson. To save confusion with the adjoining St. Clair Golf Club, (now Lakewood Golf Club), a new charter was obtained on October 6, 1921 under the name of Beach Grove Golf & Country Club. By August 19th of the following year (1922), the new Clubhouse and Golf Course were finally open to members. Beach Grove has through the years maintained the concept of family membership through it a continuity extending through three generations. Over the years the Club has become known for an atmosphere of welcome and relaxed friendliness while maintaining commitments to conduct and appearance, language and relationship with others.

Mailing address

Beach Grove Country Club
14134 Riverside Dr. East
Tecumseh, Ontario
Canada N8N 1B6

Contact information

 

Former names

St. Claire Beach Club
 

Extent of 'Thompson' Work

18 Hole Layout
New done by Stanley Thompson & Co. Ltd (architect: Deverault Emmet)
Verification level: Level 2
Lewis and Valentine & Thompson Cumming & Thompson (Lewis & Thompson)

Evidence

  • May 15, 1922 Letter to Burlington Golf & Country Club signed by Frank Thompson
  • 9/14/1934 Memo from ST to Minister of the interior TG Murphy
  • Canadian Golfer - Vol 7., No. 11, pg 760
  • Ad in Canadian Golfer - Vol 8., No. 7, pg 578
  • Ad in Canadian Golfer - February 1926, pg 869
  • Article in Canadian Golfer 1921
  • Mention in Canadian Golfer 1922
  • Write-up from Robert Kains Golf Course Design to Mark Schneider March 29, 2000
  • Mention in Canadian Golfer - Vol 7., No. 9, pg 612-613
  • Mentioned in Lorne Rubenstein article (Appendix II)
  • Canadian Golfer October 1921
  • The Windsor Star - Friday April 4, 2008 - Pg A5 - Section News - By Line Gary Rennie