Sydney, Nova Scotia

 
A course was established in Victoria Park, Sydney in 1895. In 1909 it relocated to a new site at Lingan Bay and incorporated on 31 March 1911. By 1912 they were forced to again relocate and in 1913 moved their clubhouse and constructed a new course at McLean's Crossing the present location of the Lingan Golf Club on the highway between Sydney and Glace Bay. Malcolm Martin native of Dominion, designed the nine hole Sydney (Lingan) In 1922, the famed Stanley Thompson made a side trip to Sydney to help redesign the Lingan course, one of eleven courses he worked on that year. The development of the second nine holes began in 1964 with C.E. (Robbie) Robinson as the architect.

Mailing address

Lingan Country Club
1229 Grand Lake Road                           
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada B1P 6T7

Contact information

Extent of 'Thompson' Work

9 hole renovation design
Renovation done by Stanley Thompson & Co. (architect: Stanley Thompson)
Verification level: Level 2
 
9 hole renovation construction supervision
Renovation done by Stanley Thompson & Co. (architect: Stanley Thompson)
Verification level: Level 2
 
Design plan for additional 9 holes (never came to fruition)
Addition done by Stanley Thompson & Co. (architect: Stanley Thompson)
Verification level: Level 2
 

Evidence

  • Memo from S. Thompson to Minister of the Interior, T.G. Murphy
  • Stanley Thompson & Co. company ad
  • Ian Andrew's personal research files
  • Reference to Ligan GC in 'The Toronto Terror'
  • Lorne Rubenstein article (Appendix II)
  • Article in Sydney Record
  • Articles in Amherst Daily News
  • Article in the Halifax Herald